Friday, June 15, 2012

Sad Days for the Bob Baker Marionette Theater

So sad to learn that one of the most magical places in LA might be going under.  I've written about this theater before and, if you've been, you know it's impossible not to fall in love with it.  One of my friends was even planning on getting married there- it's that charming.  There is really no way to walk out of this theater after watching a slightly creepy/totally amazing marionette show and attending an afternoon after(ice cream)party without feeling pretty optimistic about everything.

I wish I was in a position to contribute more but I can certainly swing the fundraising show.  One of the things that I love most about LA is all the oddball and heartfelt cultural gems in this often considered shallow city.  It's true that you have to do some searching but, once you find them, it makes it that much sweeter.  Unfortunately, these incredible places often suffer from a lack of attention/business/funding and their historical significance becomes pretty easy to dismiss when they're not a tourism boon.  So consider attending the benefit show on July 29th, or donating a few dollars, or even taking your kids there instead of Disneyland this summer, because really, Disneyland can do without.  You might even want to start a tradition of taking unknowing friends there for their birthdays (like my friends do) and subjecting them to a puppet-dog carrying gifts and a happy birthday serenade from a room full of third graders.  Or you could just share this video.
I'm sorry if I sound like an infomercial but I mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment