Saturday, July 23, 2011

My Window and My Reputation

Here's a picture of my plants and my neighbor's pool.
I'm showing you this because this morning, while I was watering the plants, there were a bunch of little kids splashing around in the pool.  They yell out to me, "Hi! Hey lady! Hi!" and I smile and wave back and it's all cute and like the beginning of a happy suburban movie.  And then the oldest one, this boy, says to the other kids, "Yep, she's a hooker."  This eight-year-old in this totally world weary voice, like he's dealt with sooooo many hookers it exhausts him.  And then they all turn and look up at me and giggle.  And I look at the old grandma that's sitting in the shade watching them and she stares at me, too.  And with this sour look on her face as if she's taking that little jerk's word as fact and I'm a stain on the neighborhood.  So I mumbled, "you're the hooker," and walked away because, really, there's not much else you can do at that point.  I didn't even finish watering the plants, I just wanted to get out of there.  You really don't know what you're made of until a pool full of 3rd graders and an 80-year-old start mocking you.

No comments:

Post a Comment